Six: Wedding Day

Monday, May 24, 2010
The next two months were a happy blur. Christmas with the Samboras was amazing and fun, with Ava claiming to not believe in Santa, but becoming indignant when Richie was going to ‘forget’ to leave out the milk and cookies. “It’s tradition,” she said. Heather and Jack had arrived late morning to collect Ava for the afternoon, but not before the new little almost-family exchanged gifts. Richie had bought Jennifer a heart-shaped diamond-and-platinum pendant on a long chain. Suspended from the top point of the heart was a tiny scripted ‘R’. When Richie slipped it around her neck, the pendant nestled in the hollow between Jen’s collar bones.

Jen had gotten Richie a second disc for his chain; this one with her name on one side. “The other side is where we’ll engrave our first child’s name,” she said, as she strung it onto Richie’s birthday necklace. When the couple kissed for the third time in as many minutes, Ava got impatient.

“It’ll be Easter before we finish if you keep that up,” she huffed, sitting between them. She had made black beaded bracelets for her father and Jen with each other’s initials mixed in with the jet beads. Ava had a pile of gifts from Richie, Jen, Joan, and Jen’s mother, who was looking forward to having another granddaughter to spoil.

As the new year dawned, Jen and Richie started making their wedding plans in earnest. Richie had explained what he wanted to do, and Jen thought it was perfect: no frills, no fuss, no muss, and just family and close friends. By the time Valentine’s Day came around, the whole affair was planned. Now, all they had to do was wait until the end of May.

By St. Patrick’s Day, Jen was going batty. With nothing to occupy great portions of her day, she didn’t know what to do with herself. Richie was working with Jon on new music, and she flew back and forth with him as much as she could – so much, that she was starting to get used to flying without pharmaceutical assistance. It still wasn’t passing the time when she was home. Ava was in school, or at her mother’s most of the time, and there were only so many times she could impose on Denise and Lucia. Sitting on the beach all day held no appeal; Jen felt as if her brain was melting – and not just from underuse. She accompanied Richie most of the time when he had things to do, but sometimes, like when he was messing around with new music, or handling band things, she stayed behind to let him work.

“Darlin’,” Richie had said, one night over dinner, “what is it you want to do? If you want to find a job, take a class, join a club – do whatever you want to do.”

“I kind of like not having to go to work,” Jen answered, sheepishly, “but you’re right, I’ve gotta do something.”

She talked to Heather about volunteering in Ava’s school district, but Richie’s ex-wife thought that wasn’t appropriate yet. “When you’re married, that’s one thing. But I’m just not comfortable with that right now.” Jen had to defer to the girl’s mother on that decision, and opted not to tell Richie. In the fall, she could try again.

When Richie had mentioned taking classes, Jennifer’s thoughts immediately turned to her discarded dream of getting her doctorate so she could enter the world of collegiate academia. Would she really want to be in class all the time, though, especially when Richie was touring? She looked into part-time programs, and found some that were actually reasonable, in terms of requirements. When she talked to Richie about it, he gave his unconditional support.

The next month was filled with applications, essays, phone calls and interviews, and by the end of April, she had applications in to UCLA, UCSB, and several other schools. Every time the phone rang, or the mail was delivered, she felt like a high school girl again; waiting to see if she’d been accepted.

Before she knew it, her family and friends were arriving for the wedding. Two weeks before the ceremony, Krissy, Stephanie, Gail, and Cheryl came out. Her parents and her brother and his family arrived a week later. “I can’t believe I got on a plane,” John-the-father groused

Richie’s brothers streamed in the week before the wedding as well, and the night of Richie’s bachelor party, they left their various wives and girlfriends at the Sambora manse.

“Have fun, boys,” Jennifer said; waving as the men left the house. “Remember, you have my father and brother with you; don’t do anything you don’t want to see on YouTube later, and for heaven’s sake, don’t get my daddy arrested!” As soon as the men were gone, the margaritas were mixed, and the hen party began. There was much laughter, sometimes to the point of tears, as Joan and Ma told stories of Richie and Jen from when they were younger. Before they knew it, the front door was opening, and the men were returning.

“We’re just here for a minute,” Jon called out, as he led the pack into the foyer. “Richie needs a bag, then we’re outta here. Are the strippers gone?”

“Please, Ava’s here. The strippers aren’t coming until she goes to sleep,” Jennifer called out, coming to greet them. “Surprised you didn’t see them waiting out in the driveway! Is Richie okay?”

“I’m fine,” he called from the front door. “Are you sure this is necessary? I kinda want to sleep in my own bed.”

The other women had followed Jennifer from the living room, and stood in a group, none of them too steady on their feet. “Richard,” his mother said to him, “we have this house taken over with women. It’s just for a couple nights. Tomorrow we have all manner of girly things arranged, and you’ll see Jennifer at the rehearsal. Now scoot!”

“Yes, ma’am,” Richie said, dejected.

The women kissed their respective men before they left. Then they went back to their margaritas. Ava’s eyelids started to droop, and Ma and Joan put her to bed. When they returned, it was with bags of gifts the girls had brought, but thought were inappropriate to open in front of a young girl. Jennifer received all sorts of slutty lingerie, some even from her mother and soon to be mother-in-law, which made her blush.

It was several more hours before they put down the frosty glasses and found beds to crash in. None of them stirred much before eleven the next morning, and they barely made it to the spa on time. They all were pampered and primped, and Jen could hardly contain her excitement. “I’m getting married tomorrow!”

That evening, the wedding rehearsal and subsequent dinner went off without a hitch, and all too soon, it was time for Jennifer and the girls to head back to the house for some much-needed sleep. “Are you sure an early-morning wedding is going to work for you, Rock Star?” Jen teased, as Richie walked her to the car.

He kissed her deeply, leaning into her as she braced herself on the car door. “Well it’s too late now if it won’t,” Richie answered.

“Just make sure you’re there on time,” Jen answered. “Don’t let David talk you into playing THAT joke on me.”

Richie laughed. “Never.” He kissed her again, and held her close. “The next time I kiss you, you’ll be Mrs. Richard Sambora.”

“I can’t wait,” Jen answered, snuggling into his chest.


Shortly before dawn, Jennifer could hear alarm clocks going off, followed by muted cursing. She broke into a huge smile as she climbed out of bed. This was her wedding day!

“I can’t believe Richie, RICHIE, wanted a sunrise wedding,” Gail said, grumbling from across the hall. “It’s not bloody natural to be up this early.”

“You’ll feel better after having some coffee,” Jennifer said. “Besides, I think it’s going to be romantic, being married on the beach at day break. Now hurry up; we only have a couple hours to get everyone ready. And be glad I didn’t care about being a June bride or you’d be up even earlier!”

“That would have been way too fucking early,” Gail said.

“Gail,” Ma intoned from behind Jen. “Language.”

“Sorry, Ma,” Gail said before shutting her door.

Jennifer turned to her mother. “Mom, I can’t believe I’m getting married again. Today.”

“My darling daughter,” Ma said, hugging Jen close. “I’m so happy to see you getting married again. I have a good feeling about this one.”

“Me too,” Jennifer answered.

By 6:30, the girls were all waiting for Jennifer down in the foyer. Her mother and Ava were helping her put the finishing touches on her wedding ensemble. Jennifer caught Ava’s eye in the mirror. The girl was a gorgeous vision in a long burgundy sheath with her hair upswept and held back by chopsticks. Jennifer’s attendants all had simple, long sleeveless gowns done in jewel tones, and the deep purply-red suited Ava’s coloring perfectly.

Ava smiled at her soon-to-be-second-mom. “I’m so excited for you to join our family,” Ava said to Jen, hugging her.

“I’m excited too, Sundrop,” Jennifer answered sliding a hand down Ava’s arm to take her hand. “I love you and you father very much.”

One final pat of her own up-do, and Jennifer was ready. Ava left first, calling out, “I’ll tell the girls you’re on the way down!” as she ran down the hall .

Jen’s mother followed at a more stately pace after giving her daughter a brief hug. “Don’t take too long,” she admonished. “You’ll never live it down if Richard is on time, and you are late!”

Jennifer laughed. “I’ll be along in a minute,” she said. “I just want to make sure my makeup is perfect.”

When her mother left, Jennifer turned to the mirror. She examined her reflection from a dozen different angles, and sighed. “This is it,” she said to herself. As she turned to leave, the phone on her dressing table rang. Smiling, she picked it up.

“You look perfect,” Richie said in her ear.

“How did you know I was looking in the mirror?” Jen asked.

“I’m attuned to you, baby,” he said, laughing. “Are you leaving yet? We’re almost there.”

“I’m on the way, my love,” she said. “I can’t wait to see you.”

“Me either. I love you.”

“Love you too.”

Jennifer was still smiling when she came to the head of the stairs. She picked up the long, flowing hem of her own simple sleeveless gown, and made her way carefully down the stairs. She stepped into a pair of white flip flops, and followed her girlfriends out to the waiting limo.

When they arrived at the beach, the sky was just starting to brighten. “Perfect,” she thought to herself.

A few wispy clouds floated across the dark sky, and she could tell it was going to be a beautiful day. The women got themselves in position behind a tulle-covered wall that had been erected, and Ava leaned around it to take a look at the rest of the wedding party. The men were all standing in a line, with their backs to the ocean. A breeze was toying with their hair, and she watched her father check his watch. “Jen, they’re all here, and they’re ready. Your dad just said something to my dad, and he and your brother are on the way over.”

“OK,” she said to her friends and family. “Let’s do it.”

When John-the-father came around the wall, he got tears in his eyes. “You are absolutely beautiful,” he said, kissing her cheek. “Are you ready?”

She nodded, and John-the-son took his mother’s arm to bring her to a place of honor among the celebrants. Her arrival was the pre-arranged signal to the trio of violinists, who then started Pachelbel’s Canon in D-Major. The girls all kicked off their flip-flops, digging their toes into the warm sand. Ava set out first, followed by Stephanie, Gail, Cheryl, and Susan. Krissy, Jen’s matron-of-honor waited a moment for the girls to get part way to the men, and turned to her best friend. “I want to hear ALL about the wedding night,” she said, winking at Jen’s shocked face.

After she had left, Jennifer tucked her hand into the crook of her father’s arm. “I love you, Daddy,” she said to him.

“I love you too, baby girl,” he answered. “Now, let’s get you married.”

The first glimpse she got of her husband-to-be was of him smiling. Their eyes locked and she could only see him as she walked through the sand to her future. When she arrived in front of the priest, he waited for a moment until both Richie and Jen looked at him.

“Who gives this woman in marriage?” the priest asked.

John-the-father answered, “Her mother and I do.” Then he kissed his daughter’s cheek, shook Richie’s hand, and went to go stand with his wife.

As the opening prayers were read, the sky lightened. By the time Richie and Jennifer exchanged their vows, the sun was peeking over the horizon. When Richie took the rings from Jon, and slipped Jennifer’s on her finger, the sun’s rays lit their joined hands. By the time they were pronounced man and wife, the sun was smiling down on them.

“I love you, Mrs. Sambora,” Richie said.

“And I love you, dear husband,” Jennifer answered.

The reception was a festive affair. The caterers and decorators had turned Richie’s whole downstairs into a world of white. The place was decked out in acres of white tulle, and white balloons covered the ceiling. Furniture had been moved, and tables were spread across the gleaming heart-of-pine floor, and the glass doors that lined the back of the room were all thrown open to the spring air.

Richie’s grand piano had been moved to a place of honor in the foyer, with the head table set up alongside it. After the requisite best man’s and maid of honor’s toasts, it was time for the first dance. Richie stood and held his hand out for his bride. He nodded to David, who winked at the couple and seated himself at the piano. The music began as Jennifer took her husband’s hand.

“This is beautiful,” she said, as she was spun around once and settled against Richie’s chest. “But I don’t think this is the song that we picked out.”

“Nope,” Richie said, dipping his head for a brief kiss. “This is something special; Dave’s gift to us. He wrote it especially for today.”

They twirled and spun around the dance floor, David’s playing the only sound in the room.

When they finished their first dance and sat down, Jennifer’s mother went up to the dais to have her say. She stood there looking at her brand new son-in-law. “Richard, I didn’t want to say anything in case I couldn’t find it, but I have a letter from Jennifer from the very first time you two ever met.” She pulled an envelope from her bag. “She always wrote to us; was open and honest with us about everything.”

Richie could see Jen’s handwriting on the front of the envelope and his heart squeezed. He turned to her bride, who was blushing slightly. “What is this, my love?”

“Ma’s never ending quest to embarrass the hell out of me, apparently.”

Richie laughed and pulled Jen onto his lap as Jen’s mom began to read.

November 16, 1991

Hi Ma and Daddy!

This was the best birthday EVER! What a way to turn twenty-one! San Diego is gorgeous, the weather is perfect, and I don’t want to come home. Before you have a heart attack, Daddy, I’m just saying. I’m still coming home to finish school, don’t worry, ha ha ha.

But the concert was ABSOLUTE perfection. I was sitting so close, I could see his eyes sparkle under the lights, and when he was leaning away from the microphone to say something to his traveling band, I could still hear the rumble of his voice. The music was amazing, HE was amazing, and I was so bummed to see the evening end, but you’ll NEVER guess what happened after!!

I MET HIM!

After the show, he was hanging around meeting the fans and posing for pictures and signing stuff, and I waited forever to get up there with this whole little speech prepared in my head just to freeze up. I’m twenty-one for God’s sake, not some star-struck teenager. Well, tonight, I was a star-struck teenager. Then he smiled and I forgot my name, and I think I’m in love.

I can practically see you shaking your heads. Don’t worry about me; this is just a harmless crush, and I’ll save the gory details for Krissy, but damn (yes, damn) if he isn’t the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen close up. He was really nice too. He saw I was all goofy, and didn’t make fun of me. In fact he was all fun. He recognized my accent as being East Coast and called me on it.

I said, “Yep, flew out from Beantown this morning just for you," then turned eighty-seven different shades of red.

What I remember clearly is that he took my hand and leaned in to kiss my cheek. I swear to God, I swooned (ha ha) and you KNOW that isn’t my style. Anyway, he said, "well thank you, darlin', that was real nice of you."

Then I made him laugh which was the best sound I’d ever heard. I said, "anytime, just let me know where you'll be, and I'll be there will bells on." Then some bimbo pushed me out of the way. Yeah, sure, like he was trolling. The man dates Cher for cryin’ out loud. Anyway, I looked at this woman and said, "relax, sweet-cheeks, it's not like he's leaving with me," and winked at him, making him laugh again.

I'm surprised I got that many words out without sounding like a bleeping idiot. I threw up when I got back to the hotel. It was just a fabulous experience, and I’ve got a special memory that will last me forever.

I know I’m coming home in a couple days, and will probably arrive home at about the same time this letter reaches you, but I had to write as soon as I got to the hotel. I had to tell you what a fantastic time I had. How do you feel about long-haired rock-n-rollers? Ha ha.

Love you guys.

See you soon!

Love, Jen


When she was done, she folded the letter back up and handed it and the envelope to Richie. “You keep this. Keep this and always remember that she loved you from the start, even if it was just a crush back then. You are a very special man, and you make her so happy,” Ma’s eyes were tearing up. “Thank you for putting light into her eyes.” She kissed his cheek. “And for the record, we like long haired rock-n-rollers just fine.”

0 comments:

(c) 2008 by TheGoddessHathor